General Social Media Questions

Welcome to RTO 12 Forums “Ask Me Anything” – Social Media General Social Media Questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Nancy @Bayview Wildwood Resort 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Morgan Richter

Hi Peter, I am with the Muskoka Natural Food Market in Bracebridge, a local health hub and food centre. I have a few questions about social media in general (more specifically around Facebook and Instagram).

What is the one success metric we should care about as a small local food retailer?

If I were following the 80:20 rule where should I focus my resources to get more followers? (we have limited time and ad dollars)

How do I choose the most effective hash tags and how many hash tags are too many hash tags?

Thanks!

#12094 Reply

Peter Coish

Hi Morgan,

-What is the one success metric we should care about as a small local food retailer?

As far as social media is concerned, I would be concerned with two metrics – how many people are you reaching with your posts, and how much engagement are you getting with each post (engagement is shares, comments, likes and clicks to your website). You should work to maximize both.

-If I were following the 80:20 rule where should I focus my resources to get more followers?

DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON ACQUIRING followers on Facebook. A few years ago you could get “organic” reach on Facebook if you had a large number of followers. Those days are gone. Now, even if you have a large number of followers, you will not get extensive reach into that audience without paying for it. That’s why I recommend that you focus your resources on getting reach on Facebook by promoting your posts, and not on acquiring followers. Post good stuff, and the follower will, umm, follow.

-How do I choose the most effective hash tags and how many hash tags are too many hash tags?

Identifying the right Instagram hashtags requires research into what your audience is using with respect to your category. Here are two excellent resources on how to use hashtags:

How to Properly Use Hashtags on Instagram for Growth: https://www.socialmediaexplorer.com/content-sections/tools-and-tips/how-to-properly-use-hashtags-on-instagram-for-growth/

How to Use Hashtags: How Many, Best Ones, and Where to Use Them: https://blog.bufferapp.com/a-scientific-guide-to-hashtags-which-ones-work-when-and-how-many

Studies have shown that the optimal number of hashtags is around 10 or so. I think that makes a post look spammy. I would recommend five carefully selected hashtags.

#13663 Reply

Nancy @Bayview Wildwood Resort

Hi Peter,
    we are just deciding to actively use Twitter and wondered what our ‘target’ posts should be; events going on? or weather related, etc. We are building our Facebook engagement over the past year with great success (using links has been huge for us and we reached over 13000 people with our last video share!) and also use Instagram now with picture postings when we have interesting pictures to share, but Twitter is a whole new ballgame that I don’t use personally! Is it worth spending a lot of time on or just a ‘once in a while’ type of media? Any suggestions are welcome 🙂 Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

If you haven't previously had a post approved and are a guest forum user, your post will be held for moderation before being posted to the forum.

Reply To: General Social Media Questions
Your information: